Week 12 - wc 8 June 2020
Welcome Year 3 to Week 12!
We hope you are all well and are enjoying learning at home! Let us know what you get up to by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Booklets do not have to be printed out- the children can write their answers in their exercise books that were sent home or on a piece of paper. The work sent doesn’t have to be all completed, only complete what you can.
Take part in our virtual sports day! Information attached- we look forward to seeing you completing the challenges!
We are going to be carrying on our superhero work again this week- we have loved seeing your superheroes so far!
Task 1 – Use your storyboard/ story map to help you write your superhero story. Use all the descriptive sentences and speech that you created last week. Remember to write in paragraphs and full sentences.
Task 2- Create a newspaper article about your superhero saving the day. Remember to include the key features of a newspaper- use headings, quotes, descriptive language etc.
Task 3 – Create an advert or trailer for your superhero story- be persuasive why should people read your story? Be as creative as you can; either make a video/ poster/ script.
We’d love to see all the year 3 superhero work! Send in what you get up to this week.
Complete reading booklet attached there are 2 attachments, the reading texts and the questions. These are not to be completed as tests, children can complete them independently or with support,
Children should be reading every day- this week try to focus on making predictions of what will happen next from what they have read.
We would like the children to focus on subtraction this week.
- Speedy subtraction- ask an adult to write 20 simple subtraction number sentences down and try to solve them as quickly as you can.
- Write 2 digit and 3 digit numbers on different cards. Turn them face down on the table. Turn over 2 cards at a time and subtract those numbers using the expanded column method.
- Try out these addition games on topmarks - https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/7-11-years/addition-and-subtraction
- Continue the mental maths booklet sent last week- this is to work through over the next couple of weeks there are 15 mental maths questions to solve every day.
- Expanded column subtraction there are 2 levels to choose from- not exchanging and exchanging.
- Emoji maths code breaker activity- addition and subtraction problems.
Pixl Times Table App
I have been very impressed with some of the scores on the times table app so far! If you're not sure of your child's password please email the year 3 enquiries and we will send it to you. This is a great way to practice times tables which is a key skill to keep up.
Continue learning about Ancient Egypt. Children to continue to work through each activity on the homework grid which focuses on different topics of Ancient Egypt.
Light and shadow
- Create your own shadow puppet show. Use a torch/light and create different shadows to make a show!
- Shadow worksheet
Other projects/ activities that children could do:
BBC Bitesize - have put some great lessons and activities together and have 20 minute daily videos covering Maths, Literacy and Topic. Find them at: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/primary
PE - Joe Wicks is doing a ‘live’ PE lesson on his Youtube channel every weekday at 9am- this could be a great way for children to start their day and is something they have done before at school. There are lots of different ways to stay active at home- create your own obstacle courses/ workouts.
Stay safe and have fun!
The Year 3 team.