Week 12 - wc 8 June 2020
Welcome Year 4 to Week 12!
This week, we would like the children, if possible, to complete:
Maths, Reading, Spelling
- We have set 5 new My Maths activities for this week which all revolve around 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 10 times tables.
- As an alternative or extra task, we would like you to look for different 3D shaped objects in and around your house. How many from the 3D shape hunt sheet (see resources) can you find? Can you identify some of their properties e.g. number of sides, edges and vertices (corners). Can you group the shapes according to their properties e.g. those that have vertices, those that have 6 faces or those that have curved surfaces?
- Continue to practice times tables, especially the trickier 6, 7, 8, 9 and 12s. As previously mentioned, a good resource for this are the Mad Minute challenges at http://www.snappymaths.com/multiplication/multiplication.htm.
- Continue reading for 20 minutes at least three times a week which should then be recorded in their Reading Records.
- Complete the 3 reading comprehension activities. These have been differentiated. One star = Starting out. Two star = Getting there. Three star = Super confident (see attached documents).
- The spelling rule for this week is words which begin with the prefix ‘re’ such as repeat, recycle and retreat. The prefix ‘re’ means ‘again’ or ‘back’. Use the Internet and/or a dictionary to find 10 words that also use this prefix, define them and then write a sequence of sentences or even a short story that uses them.
- Over the next few weeks’ we would like you to complete a set of writing tasks based on the ‘Talk for Writing’ approach we have been using in English this year. Each writing task will take 2-3 weeks to complete and will be broken up into a number smaller activities to be completed daily. The first writing activity is based on a story called ‘Mission Possible’ by Kat Pennington.
Day One (see English Day One pdf)
- Read introduction on p.2.
- Read the story p.3-6 (there is a link to an audio version).
- Let’s Chat about the Story p.7
- True-Or-False Quiz p.8
- CHALLENGE: Detective questions p.9
Day Two (see English Day Two pdf)
- What happened when? P.10
- Wonderful Words p.11
Day Three (see English Day Three pdf)
- Characters in stories p.12
- Complete at least 2 character profiles p.13-16
Day Four (see English Day Four pdf):
- Character names p.17-19
- CHALLENGE: ‘Never Say Die’ comprehension activity
Day Five (see English Day Five pdf):
- Your characters p.21
- Draw and label both of your characters
Other projects/ activities that children could do
- We would like the children to complete 1-2 activities from the ‘Summer 2’ task grid (see attached document) which also includes a range of appropriate science, geography and RE activities which would have been covered this half-term.
- As previously mentioned, this June, you can join thousands of people taking part in the annual nature challenge, 30 Days Wild! This involves doing one wild thing a day throughout the whole month: for your health, wellbeing and for the planet. By joining up (see web address below for further details) you get a free, downloadable pack of goodies to help you plan your wild month, plus lots of ideas to inspire you to stay wild all throughout June (and beyond!). action.wildlifetrusts.org/page/57739/petition/1
- Choose from a wide range of sites and activities listed on the ‘Other things to do’ word document.
- A selection of activities / sites is provided on the ‘PE ideas and activities’ word document.
- Miss Granville has also put together a virtual sports day for you all to keep you active at home!
The Year 4 team