SECONDARY PHASE STUDENT PARLIAMENT
The Aylesbury Vale Academy Student Parliament is made up of students from across the Academy and provides a forum where issues can be discussed and acted on.
The Secondary Phase School Parliament is made up of representatives from each year group. They are elected by their peers and attend meetings that are chaired by Ms Lutchi and the Head Girl and Head Boy every week, on Friday morning.
STUDENT PARLIAMENT UPDATES
- We have noticed that a lot of the rubbish in the atrium could actually be recycled, so we are launching some recycling schemes
- There are already bins for different recyclable waste and it would be brilliant if we all started to use them a bit better than we currently do.
- We have managed to get the school leadership to agree to buy more recycling bins for paper waste from the classrooms on the top floor , middle floor and ground floor.
- In each classroom we have placed a “AVA Paper Recycling Box” to recycle as much paper as we can.
Litter Pickers Ambassadors
- Many of us, along with Year 7/8/9 students, have been picking up litter at the end of break and lunch as well as in the atrium before form starts every morning.
- Often the amount of litter has been pretty bad but it has definitely improved in the last few weeks.
- We would really appreciate it if you used the bins, especially for food waste as this is often hard to grab with the litter pickers we have bought.
Catering at AVA
- Council members have recently been involved in the bidding process for the catering contract at AVA.
- Every few years the Academy can decide whether to continue with the current company or choose a new one.
- We reviewed the menus for food that will be on offer and tasted some of the food produced by all the companies bidding. We then gave our feedback to the companies and the school leadership.
- We will be able to share the outcome of this process with you soon once a final contract is agreed.
Plastic Bottles Recycling
- Parliament members and Y11 Ambassadors are working on this project with Ms Lutchi.
- The students have created huge cartoon boxes where the students could recycle plastic bottles. They have informed all AVA students through an assembly delivered to all year groups.
Eco Schools Green Flag
- Council members and Y11 Geography Ambassadors are working on this project with Ms Smyth.
- The Eco group are meeting weekly and discuss ideas. Students are certainly developing their skills in managing people//deadlines.
- Y11 Geography Ambassadors are looking at planting trees at AVA and they are hosting charities together with Students parliament to raise money.
Student Parliament from both the Primary and Secondary phases (Years 4 – 11) worked with Aylesbury Food Bank to deliver some fantastic donations from parents, carers, and staff.
The students were welcomed by a wonderful volunteer who took time to explain how the food bank runs and how important donations are to our community.
The School Parliament members would like to say a HUGE thank you to everyone who was able to donate! We are looking forward to running this again next year, to continue to help the Aylesbury community.
Student Parliament have been hosting various events to raise money for different charities such as: “Tea Party- raising money for Great Ormond Street Hospital for children”, “Baking Competitions to raise money for Anthony Nolan charity”, etc…
Academy Parliament Members
Head Boy: Alexandru Mosnegutu
Head Girl: Tegan Lee Dupuoy
Deputy Head Boy: Ali Basit
Deputy Head Girl: Vency Patel
The Other Parliament Members are:
Kairon C Y7, Rupert W Y7, Alexandra M Y7, Alicia D Y8, Lilly L Y8, Summer W Y8, Amelia D Y8, Keira M Y8, Chloe J Y8, Henry P Y9, Sienna T Y9, Corey C Y10, James W Y10, Kayleigh E Y10, Amna M Y10, Aish A Y10, Xander M Y10, Ruby I Y10, Alexia C Y10, Izavela C Y10, Emma MW Y10, Jacob A Y11, Ali B Y11, Alexandru M Y11, Alexandru O Y11, Tegan Lee D Y11, Vency P Y11, Megan L Y11, Maddie W Y12, Henry M Y12.