COGNITION & LEARNING
Some children/young people experience difficulty with their cognition and learning at some point during their education. They are likely to find it difficult to gain knowledge through experience and develop the skills for learning that they will need throughout their academic career. They may have difficulty with their thinking processes, comprehension and retaining information to build upon previous knowledge. Organisation of thoughts, recording of work along with basic literacy and numeracy skills may also present a challenge to them.
Reading Rockets is a national multimedia project that offers a wealth of research-based reading strategies, lessons, and activities designed to help young children learn how to read and read better. Our reading resources assist parents, teachers, and other educators in helping struggling readers build fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension skills .
- https://classroom.thenational.academy/specialist/subjects/numeracy Oak academy lessons to support children with additional needs in specific areas of maths.
- https://www.callscotland.org.uk/downloads/posters-and-leaflets/ipad-apps-for-learners-with-dyscalculianumeracy-difficulties/ iPad Apps for Learners with Dyscalculia/Numeracy Difficulties
- https://www.easyreadtimeteacher.com/teacher-classroom-resources/ resources to support teaching to tell the time
- https://www.weareteachers.com/active-math-games/ active games to support maths learning
- https://www.didax.com/math/virtual-manipulatives.html virtual physical resources to help children understand maths, cubes, tens frames, number lines, bead strings, and many more!
https://www.callscotland.org.uk/downloads/posters-and-leaflets/android-apps-for-learners-with-dyslexia/ Android Apps for Learners with Dyslexia / Reading and Writing Difficulties
- https://www.callscotland.org.uk/downloads/posters-and-leaflets/powerpoint-books-for-young-readers/ Free Powerpoint Books for Young Readers
- https://www.booksfortopics.com/dyslexic-readers?fbclid=IwAR1_cTqfjigl-KkzG9UVxUq_cwmZfBJ9yIvdA6R5utt-Jbxer7Xy6xLaolY List of Dyslexia friendly books
- https://www.rhymingmultisensorystories.com/ multisensory stories for downloading using signs, props, movement etc. to engage children with special needs.
- https://home.oxfordowl.co.uk/reading/free-ebooks/ free e-book library, select by age group
- https://dekkocomics.com/topic-guide Comic books that can be downloaded and support learning in different areas of the curriculum, aimed at KS2
- https://classroom.thenational.academy/specialist/subjects/early-development-learning Early develop lesson for pupils working below year 1 level.
- https://www.callscotland.org.uk/downloads/posters-and-leaflets/ict-to-support-learners-with-dyslexia/ Ways to use technology to Support Learners with Dyslexia
- https://www.callscotland.org.uk/downloads/posters-and-leaflets/inclusive-learning-resources/ Resources to support SEND learning
- https://www.callscotland.org.uk/downloads/posters-and-leaflets/ipad-apps-for-learners-with-complex-additional-support-needs/ iPad Apps for Learners with Complex Additional Support Needs
- https://www.callscotland.org.uk/downloads/posters-and-leaflets/ipad-apps-for-learners-with-dyslexia/ iPad Apps for Learners with Dyslexia
- https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zn5RLhNWoCRG9KyoHu4boFiqo5G8Zc3lxDkgJw-uBGQ/edit?fbclid=IwAR1-h3BvteNDDHTcqBStqz7YECBPgfifaW58D2E8NHS2EmiOfqwuSHfDYSU A list of free or cheap apps for developing a range of learning skills
- https://vimeo.com/457320105?fbclid=IwAR3m1100UbRduVvNCqW6eN7OVUZdXO38APRka-cObxntIlwNoh34AXjb7P8 Funky feet dance and movement videos
- https://do2learn.com/ Downloadable resources, activity and lesson ideas for literacy, numeracy, behaviour and social skills of needs including social skills.
- https://www.doorwayonline.org.uk/ accessible learning games for English, maths, memory and typing skills
Learning Support Assistant
MS V Lipson